Summer is almost here, and that means shedding those sweaters, boots and thick socks for t-shirts, shorts and sandals. But are your feet ready for that change? If not, we suggest a pedicure, and no, pedicures are not just for women.
Your feet will look and feel great, and for good measure, a pedicure has a number of health benefits.
Benefits of a Pedicure
- Early detection of problems – Regular pedicures can help the pedicurist detect early signs of problems such as corns, bunions and fungal infections. These are easier to treat if detected early.
- Reduces the chances of infections – Clipping, cutting and cleaning your toe nails prevents them from growing inward and causing infections. And the removal of dirt and bacteria helps prevent nail infections and foot odor.
- Preserves skin moisture – A pedicure includes immersing your feet in warm water along with the massaging application of oils and lotions that help preserve the moisture of your feet. Moisturized feet are less likely to get blisters and other foot problems.
- Exfoliates the feet – Exfoliation prevents cells from accumulating, causing bunions and corns. It also encourages new cell growth, making your feet smoother and more attractive.
- Promotes circulation – A pedicure massage promotes circulation and relieves tension in the calves and feet.
- Relaxes the body and makes you feel good – A great benefit of a pedicure is the “feel good” factor. Giving your feet a little special attention can make you feel so good about yourself, relaxed, confident and pampered!
While we recommend that your treat yourself to a pedicure, there are a few health risks you need to know.
- Jets in the whirlpool foot bath – These can cause serious infections if the whirlpool jets are not cleaned regularly.
- Bacterial or viral infections – These can spread from customer to customer if salons to do not disinfect their instruments after each use.
- Wooden tools – Remember, these cannot be sterilized, and if your pedicurist uses them, make sure they use new ones for your session.
Pointing out risks, however, is not meant to discourage you from getting a pedicure and enjoying its benefits. Just observe carefully and be a bit cautious.
If you would like a chance to win a wonderful, relaxing pedicure from our friends at the Avalon Spa, we urge you to enter our monthly contest. Go to our home page, scroll to the bottom and enter your email address. It’s that simple!